As an administrator
Administrators in any type of bilingual program or native/home/heritage language arts classes can use the following features:
- The innovative holistic biliteracy instructional framework for grades K–5 to strengthen biliteracy development for emerging bilingual students
- Paired literacy instruction and assessment
- Empirically based biliterate reading trajectories, benchmarks, and zones that offer concrete biliteracy targets and anticipated outcomes for students from Spanish-speaking homes in well-implemented bilingual programs
- Assessment practices and techniques to monitor and document children’s trajectories toward biliteracy
- A curriculum development process to create units for biliteracy instruction that align with state content and language development standards
When educators use the holistic biliteracy framework, with its focus on paired literacy instruction and assessment, they can expect to transform teaching and learning effectively at the classroom and program levels.