As a teacher
Based on ten years of longitudinal research, this user friendly guide demonstrates the effectiveness of the Literacy Squared approach and shows teachers how to
- Teach oracy, reading, writing, and metalanguage within a holistic biliteracy perspective
- Structure the language arts block to include Spanish literacy and literacy-based English language development instruction
- Evaluate students’ reading and writing development in two languages using summative and formative assessment
- Use the groundbreaking biliterate reading trajectory to differentiate instruction and assessment for emergent bilinguals
- Ensure that emerging bilinguals are on strong pathways to biliteracy beginning in kindergarten
The Literacy Squared holistic biliteracy framework is accessible and practicable and can help teachers transform teaching and learning effectively at the classroom and program levels.