As an administrator
Administrators can use this book to
- Find clear answers to specific questions concerning Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and English language learners (ELLs)/emergent bilinguals (EBs), with reference to the research-base that supports responses.
- Launch professional learning communities that focus on engaging all students, particularly ELLs/EBs, with complex content and texts in general education/content-area classes.
- Organize standards-aligned curriculum development projects that are responsive to needs of linguistically and culturally diverse learners.
- Support and guide local efforts to review, monitor, evaluate, and improve how districts and schools provide equity and excellence for diverse learners, for example, in response to a state-audit or Office of Civil Rights complaint.
- Articulate how CCSS should be implemented in the context of bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) programming, with attention to the roles and responsibilities of the general education/content teachers, ESL teachers, bilingual education teachers, and other specialists.