As a director/professional development provider
Directors/professional development providers can use this book to
- Find clear and concise answers to specific questions about Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and English language learners (ELLs)/emergent bilinguals (EBs), with reference to the research base that supports responses.
- Create professional development workshops, book study groups, or university classes that focus on a critical issue. For example, groups may do a close reading of one or more questions and answers to identify, compare, and contrast different perspectives on an issue, and consider how to apply what they learn in specific school or community contexts.
- Identify topics and approaches for strategic professional development planning around implementing 21st-century standards, with a focus on ELLs/EBs.
- Redefine the roles of the English as a second language and general education/content-area teachers so that everyone shares in the responsibility of educating ELLs/EBs.
- Design a curriculum development project that invites teachers to (a) identify the language demands associated with a particular unit of instruction - in any content area at any grade level, (b) plan how to differentiate instruction and assessment so that all students can reach those demands, and (c) implement and monitor how all students, particularly ELLs/EBs, learn and use language for disciplinary purposes.