As a teacher
Teachers can use this book to
- Answer questions about developing and using languages and literacies for academic purposes across content areas.
- Focus on the role of language in your classroom, with particular attention to English language learners/emergent bilinguals.
- Identify and address a problem of practice in curriculum, materials, instruction, assessment, or family engagement using a language and culture lens.
- Organize a grass-roots Common Core State Standards-aligned curriculum development project that is responsive to the needs of the linguistically and culturally diverse learners and communities.
- Structure a book study group of content, language, and literacy teachers and specialists. Do a close reading of one or more questions and answers to identify, compare, and contrast different perspectives on an issue, and consider how to apply what you learn in specific school or community contexts.