As a director/professional development provider
This step-by-step guide shows professional development (PD) providers how to offer focused PD that leads to real changes in teacher beliefs and practices regarding English language learners (ELLs). The PD approach is participatory, collaborative, linguistically and culturally responsive, and transformative. Key features include
- Strategies that mainstream teachers can use to increase ELL student engagement with core content-area concepts and skills
- Examples of ways to use different home languages as learning resources
- A lesson planning framework that brings a language and culture lens to sheltered instruction
- A linguistically and culturally responsive teacher observation protocol
- Structures to drive systematic and sustainable PD in any context.